Saturday, August 9, 2008

Seattle Half 08 - Run 2 of 63

Distance: 3 mile tempo
Time: 34:45
Course: Loop from home

We did a one-mile warmup, and then did a 3-mile tempo run at an average pace of 11:35 per mile.

I tend to use any excuse that I can to slow down: my shoulders ache, my back hurts, I'm starting to breathe hard, et cetera ad infinitum. So today I focused on RPE, and keeping myself honest. For the most part, I don't think I pushed hard enough. My mind was telling me this was a hard run, but I kept checking the state of my breathing (medium tending to medium-hard near the end) and my legs (not tired at all, just slow) and an honest assessment of my physical state says that I could have pushed it more without going into the red zone.

I'm not disappointed; on the contrary, it was a lovely misty morning and I had a great time. But I know I have a lot to work on, mentally even more than physically, and that's going to be a big challenge going forward.

No comments: