Sunday, January 27, 2008

Run 20 of 67: Steveston Icebreaker 8K

Distance: 8 km
Time: 59:00
Course: Steveston Icebreaker

Some kind soul went out at 7 this morning to salt down the race route. How awesome is that? It was pretty slippery out on the path and the boardwalk, but the gravel route was fine. I hit the 4 km mark at 29:15, and finished the race in exactly 59 minutes. Not a scorcher of a time, by any means, but I ran steadily and without any difficulty with breathing or my legs. My back ached a bit, though, so I took a couple of 10-second walk breaks in the first half of the run, and then concentrated on leaning forward and trying to achieve a midfoot landing. I picked it up for the last 500 metres or so, and had a decent finish.

We cleaned up at the draw prizes: CM picked up a sweet Timex Ironman Triathlon watch, and I got an Adidas technical shirt in a men's large, which fits CM very well, For a $28 entry fee, he's seeing a 500% return on investment. Nice!

So the mini-plan for the next three weeks is this: bump the speed on the Tuesday treadmill runs by 0.1 mph each time, so that I get comfortable running at 5.3 rather than 5.0 mph on my easy runs.

No comments: