Friday, August 31, 2007

August 2007: roundup and assessment

Two notes to self

1. Schedule in flex time so that the unscheduled stuff has its own place in the timetable, rather than taking up workout time.

2. Bring enough to eat at work during the day. Crashing on the couch with a bag of chips at 7 PM does not contribute to healthy living!

The rest of August

The last two weeks of August were, alas, a bust. I started a new job on Monday the 20th, and got overwhelmed by all of the stuff you normally get overwhelmed by in the first week of a new job, and the second week was just as intense.

We did manage a trip to Tofino on the weekend of the 25th, and I took in my first surfing lesson. I still don't have enough core strength to pull myself upright on the board. I managed to get to my knees easily enough after the first few tries, but that's as far as it went. It was a fun way to spend a couple of hours in the afternoon, but I think I'll stick with running for now.

Overall impressions of August

I'm not going to make excuses. A little bit of willpower and I could have stuck it through, but I wimped out and fell back into easy, lazy habits. I lost sight of my motto, BUSY IS GOOD, and fell into BUSY IS REASON TO EAT JUNK FOOD AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE ALLEGEDLY CRAPPY STATE OF MY ACTUALLY EXCELLENT LIFE.

It's frustrating to think that I let myself miss out on the cumulative benefits of 10 workouts this month. Brooding, however, is wasted energy. I think I'll give myself a C grade for this month, and look to significant improvement in September

No comments: